Listen to the audio:
Welcome to Wellness Wise™ TV!
We’ve all experienced it – a bad case of mid-afternoon munchies at work – where we often find ourselves at the vending machine grabbing a sugary pick me up (or so we think).
Most of us spend a third of our waking lives at work, and what we eat and drink at work can affect not only our energy levels, cognitive output and productivity, but also our waistlines.
Nearly sixty percent of Australian workers are overweight or obese. People who are overweight or obese are more likely to suffer from chronic diseases such as some cancers, type 2 diabetes and heart disease, and as far as impacts for the workplace, are more likely to be absent from work, together with being twice as likely to miss workdays for work-related injuries compared to workers of a healthy weight.
Plus, a study by Brigham Young University found that employees with unhealthy eating habits were 66 per cent more likely to report productivity losses.
The workplace can have a significant impact on the food choices we make – including the facilities available, the type and quantity of food that is supplied at meetings and informal get-togethers, and even the choices of food provided through the likes of workplace fundraising.
So how do we overcome some of the challenges when it comes to encouraging healthy eating at work, particularly in an era where most of know we should be eating healthier, but we’re busy and convenience is key.
You can watch the video above in its entirety, or use the timestamps (blue and white dots marked in the playbar) to jump ahead to areas of interest:
- Conor’s background and his passion for health and wellness (1.37min)
- Snackwize’s growth and evolution since entering the market (3.05min)
- Looking beyond the fruit bowl and snacking trends in millennials (4.07min)
- The importance of healthy eating in the workplace – benefits and common mistakes, including ‘3:30-itis’ (5.03min)
- What to look for in a healthy snack (7.50min)
- Dietary trends in Australia and across the world (9.07min)
- Positive impacts for both the employee and the organisation through promoting healthy eating in the workplace (10.21min)
- The next evolution of healthy eating in the workplace (11.58min)